Out Of Ashes Artwork

hahninator

Working on another interview...I'm always trying to get something cool (or new/fresh) in terms of exclusives & interviews for LPL. This time, I found an interesting person that is willing to share his story of working with Dead By Sunrise - a guy named Thomas Brodahl, who worked with the band on the design & concept for the artwork and was also a director for the whole art situation with the album.

If any of you have any questions about the DBS art in any shape or form, then post a comment and I'll include it in the interview I'm doing with him. Perhaps he came up with the design of the physical CD...perhaps he got the idea for the photoshoot...etc. Let's see what you guys have to say and I'll get a list of questions to send off if I get a few good replies.

Thanks!

Working on another interview...I'm always trying to get something cool (or new/fresh) in terms of exclusives & interviews for LPL. This time, I found an interesting person that is willing to share his story of working with Dead By Sunrise - a guy named Thomas Brodahl, who worked with the band on the design & concept for the artwork and was also a director for the whole art situation with the album.

If any of you have any questions about the DBS art in any shape or form, then post a comment and I'll include it in the interview I'm doing with him. Perhaps he came up with the design of the physical CD...perhaps he got the idea for the photoshoot...etc. Let's see what you guys have to say and I'll get a list of questions to send off if I get a few good replies.

Thanks!

The artwork and design of Out Of Ashes is by far simplistic but not lacking in great detail and subtle meanings. Was the simplistic design set out in the beginning, as this seems to be a stripped down rock record. Or was it just something that progressed naturally throughout the art production.

Question: I love the artwork! Shame that there isn't a Digipack version availble "yet" to make the product look more professional looking! Would you know If there will be a digipack version availble In the near future for our digipack lovers? Thank you!

Question: I love the artwork! Shame that there isn't a Digipack version availble "yet" to make the product look more professional looking! Would you know If there will be a digipack version availble In the near future for our digipack lovers? Thank you!

Who came up with the concept for the arwork?

Looking at the artwork from afar, it seems as if you can break down just about everything including the black blanket back into geometric shapes. However the simple, yet bold look is a beautiful contrast to the more abstract and complex composition/editing as a whole. Was this an intentional move in order to relate to back the logo, as it appears within each page? Also, was Dead By Sunrise's minimalistic logo design somehow a shout out to Linkin Park's MTM-era logo? (More specifically, the circle with "LP" inside)

(Not part of the question, but my opinion lol: I was rather surprised when I first saw the DBS logo and that kind of explains my second question because it's what I first thought!)

Were there a lot of different design directions before the final result or did Chester really have one clear specific idea and you executed it the way you thought he visioned the album art to look like?

What advice would you give to aspiring graphic designers looking to get into album art and the designing for the music industry?

Thanks!

Hey Hahninator.... i want to ask thomas about the artwork of crawl back in single...in d cover we can see a guy whose 1 leg and a palm is visible running from d black void....n d whole scene seems like a screengrab of a animation video or smthng...could he explain dat????? PLEASE ASK HIM THIS IN YOUR INTERVIEW!!!!!

Hey Hahninator.... i want to ask thomas about the artwork of crawl back in single...in d cover we can see a guy whose 1 leg and a palm is visible running from d black void....n d whole scene seems like a screengrab of a animation video or smthng...could he explain dat????? PLEASE ASK HIM THIS IN YOUR INTERVIEW!!!!!

That's Chester (notice the wedding ring) and the picture was taken in the same room as the other DBS photoshoot pictures (see here). It follows the rest of the artwork for the album.

if you look at that dbs vid of them doing photoshoot you can see chester doing that shot in the vid

lol he signed up in my PFF gallery...

however I already asked him this question through twitter but I dont think that it was his real answer.

so:

Why are there no lyrics and thank you messages in the booklet of Out Of Ashes?