Chester Interview by The West Australian

Yass

Check out the new Chester interview:

"Chester Bennington steps out of the studio to take my call, but he's not in there making music for his new solo venture Dead by Sunrise. He's making Linkin Park's fourth record.

When Bennington announced that he'd be exploring music on his own, it seemed that Linkin Park might be dissolving, especially considering the famously drawn-out recording process that accompanied their most recent album, 2007's Minutes to Midnight. But he seems more excited about Linkin Park than ever.

Rumours abound that their next album will be more consistent than Minutes to Midnight, which was knitted together from 50 songs, and will be structured by a loose concept. He says that songwriting rules long held by the band are now disregarded and they are producing some of their most fluid material in their 10th year together.

Dead by Sunrise were a project that hatched during less permissive times. Bennington had written a number of songs that sank when he brought them to Linkin Park but that he didn't want to throw away.

He says that while guitarists Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson liked his material, they didn't think it would fit in with the songs on Minutes to Midnight.

"I played (one of the songs) … and they said, 'That's a great song, but we don't know what we could do with it'," Bennington says. "I knew the song was good, but I also knew the elements of the song the guys felt they could add to were small, and to take those elements and make something new out it would destroy the original body of the song."

Underlining the extent to which songwriting conditions have changed in Linkin Park, he adds: "Where we're at now with how we view ourselves as songwriters, had these songs been written now, there probably wouldn't be a Dead by Sunrise."

This might suggest Dead by Sunrise are merely a less conventional Linkin Park. Not so. Although Bennington believes Linkin Park in their current state would be receptive to some of the material they rejected, that material, as played by Dead by Sunrise, still sounds distinct from Linkin Park.

Part of that difference is due to the influence of his band members, Ryan Shuck and Amir Derakh, members of Julien-K and Orgy, respectively. They helped turn Bennington's acoustic demos into fleshed-out dark pop songs drawing from a variety of styles.

Fire, the opening track on their debut album Out of Ashes is a steady arena anthem; first single Crawl Back In is straight-up rock and closing song Morning After contains elements of Bennington's nu-metal origins.

"We've created our own sound with its own identity," Bennington says. "We'll be making more Dead by Sunrise records for sure.

"How fast we'll turn those around I don't know. Linkin Park are always No.1 so I'm forced … not forced, I am at the whim of whatever Linkin Park are doing at the time. But Dead by Sunrise are something I care about and want to do for as long as I can."

Out of Ashes is out now."

Linkin Park are always No.1 so I'm forced … not forced, I am at the whim of whatever Linkin Park are doing at the time.

Hope he didn't mean that in the way that it sounds....

I was about to post exactly what you did. First thing you say (especially on phone) is usually what you mean to say... I have a feeling Chester is indeed in love with being the lead singer of LP but I don't think it's as gracious and fun-loving as we all think inside the studio and on tours and such. Who knows.

Edited by Preston

Personally, I don't care if DBS and LP continue to co-exist as long as Chester doesn't end up burning himself out (creatively and/or performance-wise) because he's spreading himself too thin.

However, this comment puzzles me:

"Where we're at now with how we view ourselves as songwriters, had these songs been written now, there probably wouldn't be a Dead by Sunrise."

If the above is true, is it really even necessary to keep Dead By Sunrise going beyond this one record? It's almost like Chester's saying DBS is just an outlet for his rejected Linkin Park song ideas.

Personally, I don't care if DBS and LP continue to co-exist as long as Chester doesn't end up burning himself out (creatively and/or performance-wise) because he's spreading himself too thin.

"Where we're at now with how we view ourselves as songwriters, had these songs been written now, there probably wouldn't be a Dead by Sunrise."

If the above is true, is it really even necessary to keep Dead By Sunrise going beyond this one record? It's almost like Chester's saying DBS is just an outlet for his rejected Linkin Park song ideas.

Yeah, that does sound true....

What he said with a little minor adjustment in regards to the burnout. I with my preference don't care about the co-existent of both bands as long as Chester doesn't burn himself out concerning Linkin Park. I would rather he dedicate all his energy towards LP and take out enough time to rest and not over-do it. I don't think Out of Ashes could have been an LP record with the exception of "Too Late." LP may have modified their sound but they generally have that stamp or signature on their songs that stands out from the rest of the pack and marks it as an LP record, most evident in half of MTM. And on an any given LP record, the song catalog is usually way more diverse in style or tone than Out of Ashes that had a kind of melting pot feeling to it with the exception of "Too Late" and "Fire."

Edited by arbiter

Could you please post the links to the original interview sources if you post the interviews here? Thanks... Otherwise it loses credibility because how should one know if someone maybe willfully edited one phrase or something like that and then posted it on the site? (No accusation at all... just stressing the importance of crediting sources!)

Could you please post the links to the original interview sources if you post the interviews here? Thanks... Otherwise it loses credibility because how should one know if someone maybe willfully edited one phrase or something like that and then posted it on the site? (No accusation at all... just stressing the importance of crediting sources!)

I Agree... is necessary

''Linkin Park are always No.1 so I'm forced … not forced, I am at the whim of whatever Linkin Park are doing at the time.''

I didn't like that quote too much at all. 'Forced'? Sorry but LP is 100 times better than DBS is and I think he just likes the fame of being in LP, not so sure if he even enjoys being in the band at all anymore. The rest of the band looks so focused and what not and Chester always just looks bored now.

I'm not really sure what to make of all this.

For one thing, Chester did go back and say "not forced" because he probably knew how strong that sounded. Like LP was some burden. I don't think he really feels forced as in "oh my god Ryan, I wish I could work on these new DBS songs but MIKE says we have to go on tour." or something like that.

I think he meant "limited" rather than "forced," meaning his work on DBS is limited to when LP has some down time. Had he used the word limited it would have come across a lot better.

I don't want to make a big deal out of it though. We love hanging on to the band's quotes and causing a huge commotion out of what is usually nothing (see: "genre-busting," Mike "hints" about what LPU8 would be, "Fort Minor energy," etc.) Hence why Mike decided not to give us the demo names.

I think Dead By Sunrise is just Chester's opportunity to be the boss like a traditional "lead singer" would be. I honestly think DBS might make maybe 1 more album, and that's it. It'll fizzle out.

Thanks for share the link...

I so confused with this moment, Looks like chester is tired of LP, is like she wants to step aside and keep his DBS projekt. Looks like LP is not important anymore, i confunsed...

Is not the first interview that Chester talks about of this obligation that call's LP. Is like guys i have to work with LP so DBS have to wait... :huh:

The side projekts Sucks !!!! breaks the bands !

:(

''Linkin Park are always No.1 so I'm forced … not forced, I am at the whim of whatever Linkin Park are doing at the time.''

I didn't like that quote too much at all. 'Forced'? Sorry but LP is 100 times better than DBS is and I think he just likes the fame of being in LP, not so sure if he even enjoys being in the band at all anymore. The rest of the band looks so focused and what not and Chester always just looks bored now.

If Chester enjoys the fame of being in LP, he sure as hell deserves and has the right to do so considering he help build the band with all his heart and strength.

I think what Chester said and what he probably meant are not one and the same. The way i see it, he probably meant that if he had a choice, the priority and obvious choice of his loyalty and dedication has to be LP because that is just how it is.

And obviously, DBS was created as an outlet for LP rejected songs. It's not what Chester is implying, it is the concrete truth. If LP hadn't rejected any of those songs, there wouldn't be a DBS. There is a reason the album was called Out of Ashes. LP burned the song ideas, and Chester picked it up and made the album we know. <_<

Edited by arbiter

And obviously, DBS was created as an outlet for LP rejected songs. It's not what Chester is implying, it is the concrete truth. If LP hadn't rejected any of those songs, there wouldn't be a DBS. There is a reason the album was called Out of Ashes. LP burned the song ideas, and Chester picked it up and made the album we know. <_<

lollol in a way your right and a way your wrong but i guess we all have our speculations but in the end Chester wrote the songs, rejected LP ideas or not. =]