27.02.2013 - Melbourne, Australia - Sidewave

hahninator

On the 27th, Linkin Park plays its final headlining show of the LIVING THINGS New Zealand/Australia Tour. Billed as a Sidewave show (aka all non-Soundwave shows that a Soundwave band plays in Australia around the festival dates), this show takes place at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena. This will be LP's seventh show in Melbourne (2001, 2003, 2007 x2 and 2010 x2) and sixth show at Rod Laver Arena (2003, 2007 x2, 2010 x2).

The band last played at this venue in 2010 with two shows on the A Thousand Suns Australia Tour (show pages here and here, show threads here and here). Rod Laver Arena is the site of the live debuts of 'Blackout' and 'Burning In The Skies' at that second night in 2010, both of which are unfortunately not being played on this tour. If you've been with us at LPLive since 2007 when we started covering shows, you'll remember that this is also the location in October 2007 where Chester jumped off of the top of the stage and broke his wrist.

Since Sydney had a Soundwave show followed by a Sidewave show, Melbourne will be doing just the opposite and will host a Sidewave show on the 27th before the band plays a Soundwave show on the 1st of March. This could very well be the band's last headlining show for quite some time, as the next announced tour dates for the band are in August at Japan's Summer Sonic Festival, where they will either be playing before Metallica or before Muse with likely another shortened setlist.

Sydney's Sidewave show featured Set A ('TINFOIL'/'Faint' opening) likely because the Soundwave show had Festival Set B with 'A Place For My Head' opening. Melbourne could possibly get the same treatment, with the headline show getting a full A or B (the full headlining Set B still hasn't been played this tour) and the festival show getting the opposite, shortened setlist. Hopefully the full Set B makes an appearance at this show, since it has not been played since November.

After this show, the band plays Soundwave in Melbourne on March 1st and closes the tour with Soundwave shows in Adelaide and Perth on March 2nd and 4th. For the full 2013 tour schedule including setlists from shows on this tour and upcoming tour dates, click here.

SETLIST:

01. TINFOIL

02. Faint (Ext. Outro)

03. Papercut

04. Given Up (Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)

05. With You (2012 Ext. Intro; 2012 Scratch Outro)

06. Somewhere I Belong (2012 Intro)

07. New Divide

08. VICTIMIZED (w/ QWERTY)

09. Points Of Authority

10. LIES GREED MISERY

11. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' v2 rap; Ext. Outro)

12. Breaking The Habit

13. CASTLE OF GLASS

14. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)

15. The Catalyst

16. LOST IN THE ECHO (2012 Intro)

17. Numb

18. What I've Done

19. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)

----------------------------------------------------

20. BURN IT DOWN

21. A Place For My Head

22. Bleed It Out (w/ drum solo)

- The band did a poll and asked the fans after 'BURN IT DOWN' whether they wanted 'In The End' or 'A Place For My Head' played.

- Rob played a drum solo on the bridge of 'Bleed It Out'.

Shinoda is on fire!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Metallica already has the Brisbane show on the 23rd up.

http://www.livemetallica.com/live-music/0,...isbane-AUS.html

However I heard what they do is record the show and just track it out and upload it, they don't really do any edits to it or mix it afterwards or anything. I guess if they want it raw then that's fine....most of their shows sound solid. LP likes to take the million multitracks and remix the entire show lol. And edit all sorts of stuff.

Wow Metallica already has the Brisbane show on the 23rd up.

http://www.livemetallica.com/live-music/0,...isbane-AUS.html

However I heard what they do is record the show and just track it out and upload it, they don't really do any edits to it or mix it afterwards or anything. I guess if they want it raw then that's fine....most of their shows sound solid. LP likes to take the million multitracks and remix the entire show lol. And edit all sorts of stuff.

Raw LP audio would be sick.

That's what the workprint is for Milton Keynes I believe. And the Istanbul audio, straight from the soundboard I think. So we should have a couple of them out there.

Yeah, I have both of those recordings and I love them. I prefer it to the DSP to be honest. But I know a lot of people would disagree. I wouldn't want them to just do raw audio because a lot of people would complain.

The sound of the DSPs change so much so it becomes kind of weird listening to them. For example on the way to Muse I put in a mix CD from 2011 with some 2010 live LP songs. Papercut from Nottingham 2010, Wretches from London 2010, etc. The guitar sounds sooooooo different. Not sure what's up with the guitar mixing from that era. Then compare Faint from 2010 to Faint from 2007 and 2008....way different. Is it the mixing or did they change their gear?

The sound of the DSPs change so much so it becomes kind of weird listening to them. For example on the way to Muse I put in a mix CD from 2011 with some 2010 live LP songs. Papercut from Nottingham 2010, Wretches from London 2010, etc. The guitar sounds sooooooo different. Not sure what's up with the guitar mixing from that era. Then compare Faint from 2010 to Faint from 2007 and 2008....way different. Is it the mixing or did they change their gear?

I've noticed that to. I actually stopped listening to DSP audio pretty much ever since 2009. I listen to the 2011/2012 shows I attended but that's it. I don't like the new mixing very much. I thought it was way better in 2007/2008/2009. I'm not sure why it sounds different. If you listen to the webcast raw audio from Lisbon 2012, it sounds WAY different than the DSP audio for Lisbon 2012. I prefer the webcast audio, the guitar and drums sound so good.

First off I couldn't agree with you guys more about the dsp debate, goes to show just because its mixed cleanly doesn't mean it's gunna be perfect varying recording to recording.

Secondly I heard soundwave is meant to have a highlights show Saturday afternoon eastern Australian time on cable tv here, I suspect there's likely to be only a few linkin park songs on there.

Finally it's about 6:30am here and I almost got no sleep because I've been waiting 11 years of my lp fandom for this day, before I can enjoy tonight's concert I got a long 6 hr trip from Portland to Melbourne along with stress of getting to the hotel to check in and prep for tonight. Fingers crossed apfmh or some live debuts of powerless or I'll be gone happens coz ill go off my rockers then. If not ill still have an enjoyable show. If I find out about tonight's setlist or anything else ill let you guys know. I know you guys wish you were here. ;)

best of luck for the show mate,it's a dream to see this band performing infront of me,& I think,I'll die w/out completing this dream ..... you're lucky,forget the setlist,just go there,enjoy,show some energy to the band,they love energetic crowd,take care

The sound of the guitars on the DSPs got EXTREMELY diluted once the band began the ATS cycle. I'm assuming this was because Pooch now had to deal with a million new sounds and the guitars were put on the backburner. They've gotten better ever since the LT cycle started and the guitars came back, but it's still not the same loud crunch you can hear in the earlier recordings.

Edited by CookieMonster